Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe


The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is one of those classics that everybody reads as kids, or reads to their kids.

Everybody but me, evidently.

I haven't even seen the movie.

But now I've read (or rather, listened to) it. I got it from audible, as usual. Michael York is a charming reader and does a variety of voices for the characters which add to the listen, especially since sometimes his "narrator's voice" gets a wee bit twee for my taste. On the other hand, that's not surprising when the text speaks straight to children in a rather twee manner, as in (for example), "If I were to describe how horrible they really were to you, boys and girls, your parents wouldn't let you read this book!" (Paraphrased, but close.)

But I can certainly see why it's held up for several generations. The difference between it and Harry Potter (to use an obvious example) is the difference in how most narrative is written these days. Authors who speak directly to the reader are putting up a barrier between the emotion of their books and the reader, by constantly reminding the reader, "This is a story I'm telling you, you know." I do prefer the author to stay out of the way and let me experience the story as if I'm living it myself, in the skin of the characters. But that's a quibble in this case, for once I settled into it, Lewis's voice was part of the story's charm.

I guess I'll grab the DVD when it's available, and eventually listen to the rest of the Chronicles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home