Friday, January 20, 2006

Stage Beauty


Stage Beauty

For a change of pace -- a film. Or DVD, in this case. I loved Claire Danes in My So-Called Life.

The idea of this film, that Billy Crudup is that last man to portray a woman on stage prior to Charles II decreeing that women should portray women -- revolutionary, indeed -- intrigued me. The trailers intrigued me.

But now that I've seen it, it's Billy Crudup who intrigues. I kept thinking, "That name, that face, what else has he been in?" and then remembered -- Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous. Wow, very different.

And amazing, whether he is a man portraying a woman on stage or in a carriage with female admirers, or a man trying to play a man, or ... well the permutations are fascinating and superb. I loved this film, and Billy Crudup's perfomance (and some fine supporting cast members, as well) is the reason why.

If you liked Shakespeare in Love, give this one a shot. I think you'll love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home