Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Constant Gardener



A passionate love story.

A cinematic stunner.

A plot that occasionally take hairpin curves and always holds you spellbound.

Westminster Abbey.

Man, I love this movie.

Ralph Fiennes is, as always, masterful in his portrayal -- this time of a meek, concientious public servant who falls in love with a passionately committed woman who is out to change the world. It's no wonder Rachel Weisz is nominated for an Oscar, and surprising that Fiennes isn't.

This is a film that manages to carry a rather heavy-handed message with ease, because the people who inhabit this world are so real, and their fervor is contagious.

I've never read John le Carre but I'm ready to do so now, starting with this book. I'd like to see how true the film is to the source material.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big John Le Carre fan. He also wrote "The Russia House," which became a movie starring Sean Connery and Michele Pfeiffer.

I haven't yet read "The Constant Gardner," but you've piqued my interest.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Well, as I recall you also share a certain fondness for Inspector Jury mysteries, so I'll have to follow you to Le Carre.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home