Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Match Point



Kind of pointless.

I wanted to like it. I wanted to like it a lot. I like Jonathan Rhys-Meyers and have since I first saw him in Bend It Like Beckham. I've enjoyed enough Woody Allen to not be immediately concerned that it was his film. I read enough raves to expect to be delighted.

Not so much.

After their initial meeting, I couldn't feel enough sizzle between Rhys-Meyers and Scarlett Johannson to justify the premise of the movie, infidelity. (Yes, it's a Woody Allen movie, of course it's about infidelity.)

There were many things about it that I enjoyed, and there were certainly some solid performances, but once you get over the fact that she's stunningly beautiful, there really isn't enough in Johannson's character (or more likely, her performance) to convince me she was worth risking your entire life as you know it to sleep with her.

I know, I'm not a guy.

So anyway, that's it for me. Enough people disagree with me that I'm sure it would be best for you to see it for yourself and come back and tell me what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home