Thursday, February 16, 2006

Daddy's Dyin' ... Who's Got the Will?


Daddy's Dyin' ... Who's Got the Will?

I first heard about this at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. I don't recall who was in the hospital, but I do recall being in the cafeteria with my sister when one of her friends happened to pass by and join us for a quick lunch. He mentioned that somebody was making a movie at his family's old farm house near Dallas. We, of course, immediately asked, "What's it called?"

He looked embarrassed. He said it was a strange title and he always hated saying it, especially in a hospital.

I love this film. The down-home-Texas dialogue makes me laugh out loud and sometimes cringe, and the characters are brutally funny and sometimes just brutal -- but always fascinating to watch. As the four siblings who gather when their father's hours are numbered, Beau Bridges, bless his heart, is as mean as they come. Beverly D'Angelo is an alley cat with soft edges. Amy Wright and Tess Harper are spot on perfect.

But damn, if Judge Reinhold, Patrika Darbo and Molly McClure don't steal the movie, and give it its heart.

Del Shores is a terrific writer. I look forward to what appears to be his next outing, Southern Baptist Sissies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home