Monday, February 06, 2006

The Women

Somehow I've never seen or read The Women, by Clare Booth Luce.

Contemporary Theatre of Dallas's current production is simply grand. It was great fun, moving at times, and a wonderful way to spend the evening with friends. The situations were certainly as current today as in 1936, if the play's resolution is a bit more retro than some of my companions cared for, ahem. (Okay, count me in on that one.) But the costumes and set designs were terrific, especially when the low budget is taken into consideration. Lots of roles for women, resulting in a large, diverse cast.

I'll be renting the movie soon. I've been reading about the updated version that is in the works. It may be entertaining, but I think I'd rather see Bullock, Ryan, Judd, Bening, Thurman et al leaving their 21st century mores behind and conforming to those of 1936. That would be something to see.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Moved from other location:

Jette said...
I would love to see the stage play "The Women" -- I read the play back in high school. I think it dates somewhat, especially the movie. I can't imagine a contemporary film remake; I think you'd have to rework the whole script and keep the spirit rather than the letter of the play.

4:19 PM



pooks said...
Yes, Diane English is writing and directing the remake (if I recall correctly) and it will be a contemporary story based on the original dramatic elements. The play is dated but the cast (especially the young child actress) did a great job wrapping themselves around the dialogue without it seeming campy.

4:58 PM

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home